Custodian of some of the most representative murals in Mexico, the Palace of Bellas Artes (Fine Arts) is one of the most imposing and important precincts in the country. It is the house of dance, theater, plastic, classical music, and of course, opera.
Its design was commissioned to the Italian Adamo Boari, who with an Art Nouveau and Art Deco style managed to create the marble palace, known worldwide today, declared in 1987 by the UNESCO Artistic Monument.
It has four floors, underground parking, a height of 53 meters, decorated by multiple sculptures.
Its construction began at the end of the mandate of Porfirio Díaz, who laid on April 12, 1905 the first stone of what would be at that time the New National Theater, for the celebration of the centenary of the beginning of the Independence of Mexico.
It was officially inaugurated on September 29, 1934 by President Abelardo L. Rodríguez. For that special occasion, the play The Truthful Suspect was presented, written by Juan Ruiz de Alarcón.
It has served for important events, both cultural, social and political. But they have also been paid posthumous tributes to great stars of various arts.
It opened its doors to say goodbye to the world, on September 8, 1949, to the muralist José Clemente Orozco. Then, on June 13, 1954, it hosted the farewell of the painter Frida Kahlo.
Other celebrities who were given the last goodbye in the aforementioned space was the late singer Juan Gabriel, who last sang there in 2013, an event with which he celebrated four decades of artistic career.
In the list of celebrities who after his death have been again in the Palace of Fine Arts, Diego Rivera, “Cantinflas”, Agustín Lara, María Félix, Octavio Paz, Carlos Fuentes, Carlos Chávez, Lola Beltrán, Rufino Tamayo, Rosario Castellanos stand out , Carlos Monsiváis and Gabriel García Márquez.
Among its many features, it stands out that it is the headquarters of the National Symphony Orchestra, the National Dance Company, the National Opera Company and the Folkloric Ballet of Mexico.
It has a large number of sculptures and figures in high relief. But one of the characteristics that make it unique is that it has a glass curtain, which shows the images of the Mexican volcanoes and evokes a work by Dr Átl.
The surprising thing is that it weighs 24 tons. Among the details to highlight are the doors and windows, which have details forged in iron, with figures of the flora and fauna of Mexico.
It has eight exhibition halls, apart from concert spaces, including Manuel M. Ponce and Adamo Boari. It has a cafeteria, a bookstore and temporary exhibition halls.
The Palace of Fine Arts has a great cultural richness, which includes 17 murals painted between 1928 and 1963 by Diego Rivera (The man at the crossroads looking with uncertainty but with hope and a high vision in choosing a course to guide him a new and better future, known as the controlling man of the universe; Carnival of Mexican life), José Clemente Orozco (Katharsis), David Alfaro Siqueiros (The New Democracy, Cuauhtémoc Torment and Victims of War), Rufino Tamayo ( Birth of nationality and Mexico today), Manuel Rodríguez Lozano (Piety in the desert), Roberto Montenegro (The Angel of Peace), Jorge González Camarena (Humanity is freed from misery), large-format pieces that capture the social struggle of Mexicans in works that are icons.
Initially it was contemplated that the construction of the Palace of Fine Arts will be carried out in four years, but it took 30 years and finally it was officially inaugurated on September 29, 1934.