Francisco I. Madero is one of the oldest streets in Mexico City, drawn shortly after the Conquest. It measures 700 meters and its ends are located between Eje Central and the Plaza de la Constitución.
In past centuries it received different names, such as Calle de San Francisco and Calle de Plateros.
The latter is the most famous, and it is because Martín Enriquez de Almansa, fourth viceroy of New Spain, arranged for silver merchants to establish themselves along the road.
His name is Francisco I. Madero since 1914.
Who gave him his final name was Pancho Villa himself. He placed a plaque on the marble of the La Mexicana building (where the Zara store is now), on the corner with Isabel la Católica.
It is located at number 4 of Madero. Its exterior walls, covered with talavera tiles, were laid in 1735.
Legend has it that the person responsible for such decoration was Luis de Vivero and Ircio de Mendoza, the second count of the Orizaba Valley; It is said that, during his youth, his father reprimanded him for the life of excesses he led, telling him that he would never achieve anything or make a “tile house”. However, the famous facade was the idea of a descendant of his, the fifth countess of the Orizaba Valley.
Between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, the New Baroque style house was the headquarters of the Jockey Club of Mexico, a meeting point for high society.
In 1920, the Sanborns brothers opened their first restaurant with a pharmacy and gift shop here. The building also protects the mural “Omnisciencia”, by José Clemente Orozco.
You find it in Madero 17. It is called that because it was the home of Agustín de Iturbide for two years, and he left to be crowned as emperor.
The baroque-style mansion, which was built between 1779 and 1785, is listed as a National Monument. Now it is the Citibanamex Palace of Culture with temporary exhibitions, guided tours and a site museum that explains how it was lived inside the residence.
In the 18th century, José de la Borda lived between the streets of Madero and Bolívar, a very rich man who owned mines in Taxco. His house was so big that it covered the whole block.
With the passage of time the enormous property of Baroque style was divided into several parts, but some of them still retain a very long balcony.
It is said that José de la Borda commissioned that structure so that his wife could walk around without leaving the house, because he was very jealous.
To identify the construction, locate number 33 of Madero, which is currently occupied by a bank branch; The famous balcony is on the third floor.
Just in the corner located between Madero y Motolinia, more than two meters high there is a stone plaque shaped like a lion’s head. Mark the level that reached the water after the Tromba of San Mateo, in 1629.
It is the worst flooding in Mexico City: because of it, more than 30 thousand people died.
In Isabel la Católica 26, corner with Madero. More than 20 thousand objects related to Mexican culture are part of the collection that Carlos Monsiváis gathered during 40 years of his life.
They are illustrations, photos, documents and curiosities that are exhibited in this museum in the form of temporary exhibitions divided by theme.
The name “Estanquillo” refers to a type of establishment that proliferated in Mexico during the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, where all kinds of products were sold. It has a cafeteria with terrace.
Hilaria Jardín is a small restaurant with a panoramic terrace, located on the corner between Madero and Bolívar (the exact address is Bolivar 21).
Marrow burgers, pork rinds and chapulines pizza are the stars of their menu.
You can accompany the meal with a craft beer in the bottle; They have 15 different brands.
Just entering the Mexican Museum of Design in Madero 74, is already an experience.
The colonial house that houses it dates from the 18th century; It was built on a part of the palace that belonged to Hernán Cortés, and below are also the foundations of the pyramid of Emperor Moctezuma Ilhuicamina.
Today, its stone walls house temporary exhibitions related to all kinds of techniques and materials of national and foreign designers: from photography and illustration, to textiles and jewelry.
There is also a restaurant and a shop full of creative items.